Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Monogram Art

I'm obsessed with monograms. I could find a million uses for them in my house, but 937 monograms probably isn't a good look for one house. I found this idea on Pinterest:


Image from here.

I thought this would be adorable for the littlest member of the Meyer family, Chase. Our close friends Natalie and Alex, had Chase in October. I knew I wanted to make a gift for his nursery, but it took me a while to figure out exactly what I wanted to do. Until this little idea came to mind. I liked the look of the washers because it's kind of masculine and industrial, but still sweet for a little boy.

Sadly, I didn't take in progress photos during this process. I opened Microsoft Word and blew up a large C for the little man. I chose one that had a great structure with a bit of interest. I printed the outline on regular computer paper and cut it out. I grabbed a sheet of cardstock and gently taped the ends of the C to the cardstock.

I picked up a few packs of washers from Home Depot in varying sizes to the tune of $4. I later learned that you can buy a multi-pack from the Dollar Tree for $1, so if you attempt this project head there first! I gradually positioned the washers under the C by lifting the paper, placing the wahser, and laying it back down on top of the washers. After I positioned all of the washers, I glued each one with Alene's Tacky Glue. You don't need much. I used two drops of glue for each washer.

When it came to the frame, I chose a large frame from Pottery Barn. I wanted this to be a statement piece rather than a teensy piece of art. The Pottery Barn frame was perfect because it was large, had a great matte included, and had a small strip of wood between the image and the glass. I didn't think about this before I started the project, but it ended up being perfect. If you use very thick washers, you need a frame that has a little give between the glass and the back or one that has a spacer like mine did.

Here's the finished product:




Tim had the idea to put the baby washers inside the larger washers. Overall, I am quite happy with the look! I can't wait to do a monogram project in my house...

2 comments:

  1. I love this! I feel like the washers inside the larger washers really make it pop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this too! This is a great idea. Its very creative wall art! This would be so cute in our house! I could make a big j or have smaller ones that spell out jordan! Im totally doing this!

    ReplyDelete