Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Guest Post: Queen of Crafts

A member of the Craft Club, Amy, was quite busy this winter break! Amy is a grad student and crafter extraordinaire. She had a few days off this winter break and managed to squeeze in 4 incredible craft projects. Meanwhile, I sat on my rump eating bon-bons and watching reruns of Law and Order SVU. Amy sweetly sent me this post on January 7th, but I wasn't kidding when I said I was taking a month off. I'm back now to share some fabulous crafts courtesy of Amy:

Amy & Dave (the soon-to-be-hubs)


Quilted Tote:
This is my first sewing project! My fiancĂ© got me a sewing machine for Christmas and I was eager to learn how to sew, but had no clue where to start or what I needed.  I went to Wal-mart and bought a few supplies (needles, scissors, etc) and asked a friend who was more experienced to teach me how to start.  I found this bag in a packet for about $12 where it included directions and all of the material to make this bag.  From doing this project, I was able to learn how to measure and cut material for a pattern and how to unjam my sewing machine, since I jammed it roughly 6 times in the midst of making the bag and also broke a needle.  I’m still in training, but pretty pumped about how the bag looks! 

Vera Bradley should hire Amy. My first project was a hot mess.




Jewelry:
I have been a jewelry guru since I took a jewelry class 2 summers ago.  You can take classes at a jewelry bead shop, Michaels, or Jo Ann Fabrics.  This is a necklace I made for my Mom for Christmas.  You can buy beads at Wal-mart, Michaels, Jo Anns, and sometimes other stores if you look.  To make it look fancy, I found the purple cardboard piece for earrings at Michaels—makes it look “pro!” 


You should see the necklace Amy showed me how to make. It took me 4x as long as it took her haha.



Pringles Can:
This was the easiest craft over the holidays, and the most yummy!  I saw this idea on Pinterest (if you are not on there, I HIGHLY recommend it ;] ).  If you like Pringles, it makes it even better.  I bought a few Pringle cans, both tall and medium sizes, and was motivated to eat the chips so I could use the container.  After washing it out, I measured the length of the can and found some nice scrapbook paper I wanted to cover it with.  Then I glued the paper around the can (you can also put paper under the lid if you would like) and filled it with a yummy Chex mix for a friend.  Great way to give cookies/snacks!

So cute, so yummy.



Wine Glass:
While this looks AWESOME, I promise it is so easy!  The supplies you will need is: a $1 wine glass from the Dollar Store, white puffy paint, light sand paper, and a design.  You can print a design off-line, like the snowflakes I used, and tape them inside the glass facing out.  Use a light sand paper to sand the outside of the glass (this will keep the paint sticking to the glass).  Take the puffy paint and trace your design on the outside of the wine glass.  Once the puffy paint dries, remove your design that is taped on the inside.  Next, spray paint the outside of the wine glass, over your puffy paint design, with white spray paint (or your choice of color).  And after you feel you have enough coats of spray paint (I used 2 coats), you can use acrylic paint for the inside (of the same color or different color—for my wine glass I used a charcoal gray).  Wa-La!


So fancy!


Amazing, right? We'll just call her the Queen of Crafts. Amy is engaged, so I can't wait to see all of the wedding decor and crafts that she will DIY! These products look so professional, she could sell them! Maybe we'll get a follow up wedding edition from the Queen of Crafts. :) Thank you so much for sharing, Amy!

No comments:

Post a Comment